Saturday 11 July 2009

Kick off your shoes and go barefoot!

I have just been checking any interesting new posts on netmums in the Working for Yourself forums, always looking for inspiration. One question posed was regarding the profitability of working 20-30 hours a week as a direct sales manager and if it was easy to recruit team members and the viability of selling products as direct sales that are also available in the shops.

A couple of years ago I tried my hand as a Barefoot Books Stallholder. I loved the books and other products and thought this would be a good job option as it fits around family life. The mistake I made was that I didn't drive! I had lots of ideas of where to sell the books, other than at coffee mornings in peoples homes but I couldn't get anywhere with my heavy box of books. So this was short lived. I passed my driving test last year and in the past few days have revisited the idea of selling Barefoot Books, after an email announcing their new website. I still adore the books but they seem to have changed the package for stallholders, which made it a little more complicated to understand. I would also like to break into the schools market and I am not sure if Barefoot are set up for this. So as one idea leads to another I popped onto Usbourne books site and felt the potential for sales was a lot bigger and they are set up for you to sell in schools, which would provide you with a larger sales and customer base. However their commission seems less than Barefoot and also I feel there maybe alot of sales people in my area but I have no way of checking this. Whereas Barefoot did offer a facility to find a Stallholder in your area on their old website, a facility I am yet to find on the new website.

So is the market saturated with mummy's selling books or can we make a decent living from such a job? One bonus is all the lovely free books you get that can be used as stock or added to your own home library. I feel with some effort, good marketing skills and time you could make some money from either of these direct sales companies.

For more information take a look at the websites, Usbourne have a special offer of a £5 joining fee this month. I am independant and do not sell for either of these companies so am not looking to recruit you!

www.usbournebooksathome.co.uk

www.barefootbooks.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    I was so delighted to read your post.
    I have been a Barefoot Books Ambassador for the past two and a half years and am totally passionate about the books and what I do (it's 6.30 in the morning and I am answering your post!!).
    When I started I only intended for it to be a part time job as I also run a translation business, but the books are so beautiful and I love what I do so much that it has now become my full time job and my full income.

    You are right - the programme has just undergone a complete upgrade to bring it right up to date making it easier for us to take full advantage of social networking and simpler for us to run our businesses in whichever way we want to. That's the beauty of our programme.
    There is plenty of room for further Ambassadors as we each sell in a way that suits our individual skills and circumstances. Some through home events, others through the Internet (a perfect option for anyone who doesn't have a car), others through school, nursery events, etc. I promote the books mainly through schools and larger events.
    The opportunities are numerous - all you really need is drive and enthusiasm as not only is it FREE to register but support, help and advice from our wonderful global community comes free, too!

    As you say - under the new system the commission is fantastic. Even new Ambassadors have the option to purchase at a fantastic 50% discount.

    If anyone would like to find out more then please visit my website at www.buybarefootbooks.co.uk or get in touch directly. I am always happy to 'talk' and 'live' Barefoot!
    Hilary

    ReplyDelete