Tuesday 28 July 2009

Have your cake and eat it.

I have been reading alot of articles recently about 'porfolio careers' for women. It seems that I am not the only one with more than one interest that I would like to be a career. 'Portfolio careers' could be the way forward as women need working life to be more flexible but still are often highly qualified, so by managing their own careers they can stick their fingers into more than one pie. One woman I read about was on the board of directors for two companies then a freelance photographer, to realise her creative side. Other women were combining sucessful freelance careers in the creative industries, from event management, tv production, journalism or photography to a couple of days as a counsellor or even a lawyer.

My main concern is knowing your own limits. I expect there are many jobs we would all like to try but to gain such flexibility as a portfolio career you would need real expertise in all the jobs you chose. You would also need fantastic organisational skills and be able to work with restrictions of a 9-5 office. I really do think this is the way forward as we all have many skills. So I am looking forward to really being able to have my cake and eat it! I'm just not sure which job titles to put in my portfolio!

No comments:

Post a Comment